Spring is nearly here! 7 ways to get your tricycle ready for Spring
4th March, 2022
The days have started to get longer, and the weather is getting slightly warmer. This means it’s time to get your tricycle ready for some sunny spring, summer cycling. It’s recommended you service your trike once a year and now is a good time to do so! Whether you’re washing it down after a wet and rainy winter, or you’re pulling your tricycle out of storage it’s important to do these simple checks on your tricycle.
7 simple tips to get your tricycle ready for spring and summer:
• You should always be checking your tyre pressure. Whether you’ve been out on your tricycle over the winter or it's has been sat in storage over the Winter you’re going to want to check the pressure of each wheel. Inflate the tyres on your Jorvik Tricycle to the pressure embossed on the sidewall. Improper tyre pressure will make riding your tricycle much more difficult and cause excessive ware on the tyre.
• If you’ve braved the wind, rain and snow this Winter you should have been checking your brakes regularly anyway as the wet weather alone hinders brake performance. It’s also important to check your brake levers, cables and pads to ensure that they aren’t worn away or damaged and are working properly. If they aren’t in proper working order then replace them immediately! Riding your tricycle with worn or damaged brake cables or pads can result in you losing control of your tricycle.
• You tricycle will need a good hose down before checking your chains, especially if you've been out cycling over the Winter. Get rid of all the mud, dirt and grit from around the chain and check the tension. When a chain wears it stretches and a chain too loose could come off while cycling. On the other hand a chain too tight can bind and damage your gears.
• If it’s been a while since you’ve taken your tricycle for a spin, it’s important to make sure all your attachments are attached properly. For example any trailers, mirrors, baskets or kids seats are still in good conditions and firmly reattached. It’s even important to check your own seat before heading back out on your tricycle. Make sure it’s in the correct position and not worn (if so, it may need to be replaced) to ensure you’re comfortable on your sunny rides over summer.
• It is a legal requirement for cyclists to have lights on the front and back of your tricycle and reflectors on the wheels and pedals. We would therefore advise checking this is all in check before setting off on the road this spring.
• Whether you’ve taken your tricycle out on the road, through tougher terrain or your tricycle has been kept in storage over Winter now is a good time to give it a proper clean. Although you may have enjoyed splashing through muddy puddles on your winter rides, it’s for a bit of tricycle TLC! Any dirt or grit left on your tricycle can start to damage the moving components. Try using mild detergent, warm water and a brush to get all that dirt off and leave your tricycle looking brand new!
• As well as tricycle maintenance, this year it’s also crucial that you refamiliarize yourself with the new highway code before setting off on your ride!